YWCA Central Alabama will host a virtual conversation with community leaders about the current state of race in Birmingham. Register now!
As YWCA continues our mission of eliminating racism and empowering women, we do not desire for our society to “get back to normal.” We are steadfast in our commitment to join with allies to work toward a society where black and brown lives matter and where our criminal justice, educational, health care, and all other systems are intentionally designed to replace disparity with equity.
Moderator: Dr. LaRhonda Magras, CEO, YWCA Central Alabama
– Overview of racial violence in our country – Elliot Spillers, Equal Justice Initiative
– History of racial violence in greater Birmingham – Majella Hamilton, The Ballard House Project, Inc.
– Current state of law enforcement and city governance – Mayor Randall Woodfin, City of Birmingham
– Intersections of racism – Rebecca Harkless, Social Justice Educator
– COVID 19 and racial disparities – Dr. Samantha Hill, M.D., M.P.H. UAB’s Division of Adolescent Medicine
– Going forward. Community action – Dr. David Barnhart, Saint Junia United Methodist Church and Alabama Faith in Action
Contact: Social Justice and Advocacy Department at email@example.com.
JUNE 30 | 1-2 P.M. | REGISTER (FREE) | SUPPORT THE YW